The Wildlife Trusts' special video discussion on Neonicitinoids

Neonicotinoids (sometimes shortened to neonics /ˈniːoʊnɪks/) are a class of neuro-active insecticides chemically similar to nicotine. … Compared to organophosphate and carbamate insecticides, neonicotinoids cause less toxicity in birds and mammals than insects. Some breakdown products are also toxic to insects.

1 Like

Interesting. Great to hear experts, and a farmer’s experience of growing the sugar beet crop. The conclusions: grow less sugar (it’s bad for us anyway); encourage existing lacewings to eat the greenfly which cause the problem, and breed resistant sugar beet. My view: the priority has to be protecting bees and other insects, so STOP all use of Neonics.

1 Like

The the Environment Bill is delayed for a third time.

Then Mr Rees-Mogg writes Britain could slash environmental and safety standards ‘a very long way’ after Brexit

Here’s my reply from our local MP!

Dear Daniel Turner,

Thank you for contacting me about the use of neonicotinoids.

The Government continues to support the restrictions on neonicotinoids to protect pollinators. Emergency authorisations for pesticides are only granted in exceptional circumstances where diseases or pests cannot be controlled by any other reasonable means. These emergency authorisations can provide short term availability of a product if the applicant can demonstrate that this addresses a danger that cannot be contained by any other reasonable means, that the use will be limited and controlled, and that the necessary protection of people and the environment can be achieved.

The application for Syngenta’s Cruiser SB on the 2021 sugar beet crop is for England only. The duration of authorisation is strictly limited to the period required to allow the supply of the product. Furthermore, sugar beet is a non-flowering crop that is only grown in the East of England.

This exceptional use of Syngenta’s Cruiser SB will be strictly controlled. The authorisation’s conditions include reduced application rate and a prohibition on any flowering crop being planted in the same field where the product has been used within 22 months of sugar beet and a ban on oilseed rape being planted within 32 months of sugar beet.

Countries across Europe also use emergency authorisations. 10 EU countries, including Belgium, Denmark and Spain, have granted emergency authorisations for neonicotinoid seed treatments since 2018. Under EU legislation, member states may grant emergency authorisations in exceptional circumstances. I can assure you that the UK’s approach to the use of emergency authorisations has not changed because of the UK’s exit from the EU.

Yours sincerely,

Rob Butler
Member of Parliament for Aylesbury

For the latest government advice on Coronavirus COVID-19, please go to https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus